Friday, February 15, 2013

On this evening of St. Valentine's Day, I am reflecting on a movie I treated myself to earlier, which is on the top of my movie favorites list, Titanic.  Of course I know that everyone alive today for the most part knows the story of the ship that sank in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in 1912, and along with it, more than 1,500  souls.  The tragedy of that event will live on in history for all time, and since that day, many books have been written, museums filled, and movies made.   I am not quite sure why one of those movies filmed over ten years ago now, has become one of my favorites--certainly not because of the horrific scenes of death and despair, but probably more so because of the fictitious love story that unfolds in the midst of it all between "Jack" and "Rose".  

'Though I've seen the movie more than a dozen times at least, there are certain scenes that get me right in the center of my heart every time.  Tonight, as my Valentine to myself, I watched it yet again.  While all the same love scenes warmed my heart, something different jumped out at me, and in one of the scenes at the end of the movie,  I heard the famous words in a different way than I ever had previously.  

As Jack and Rose are floating on the broken piece of bed board, Jack begs her to promise him that "no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless things may seem, you will survive...."  He held her hand, and as she slips into sleep, he slips into death.  Later, she wakes to the sound of a boat returning to look for survivors, and tries to wake Jack to tell him.  When she realizes that he is gone, she lets him go to the depths of the ocean, lays her head down, and cries.  It seems as though she wants to die with him, but then she remembers the promise she made, miraculously gathers the courage and strength she needs to live, and makes her way to the safety of the one boat that came.

There are times when my circumstances are so bleak, that I too am frozen.  I am paralyzed with fear, and so tired that I just want to lay down my head, and let go.  But there's a love story and a promise that I know of that is even greater than that of Jack and Rose...one that holds a promise for me that even when my strength is gone, and I can't seem to find the courage to survive, that I will never be let go.

The promise comes from the most loving being ever known to man, and who loves in ways that no man ever could.  His love is boundless, unconditional, and never changes no matter how I may fail.  He was, and is, and will be forever the lover of my soul, who holds me up, and in every situation lets me know that he will never break his promise, and He will never, ever let me go.

So tonight, as I attempt to close my eyes and sleep, I will be grateful for the loving hand of God, and trust that even in the pain, he holds my hand and keeps me safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment