Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Surrender


1sur·ren·der

 verb \sə-ˈren-dər\
sur·ren·deredsur·ren·der·ing

Definition of SURRENDER

transitive verb
1
a : to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand <surrendered the fort>
b : to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another
2
a : to give (oneself) up into the power of another especially as a prisoner
b : to give (oneself) over to something (as an influence)
intransitive verb
: to give oneself up into the power of another : yield

According to Merriam-Webster, the word "surrender" has a couple of different meanings, yet I suppose that to each individual person, it can mean something different, depending on the circumstance it is being associated with in their life at the time.  It is a verb, which means that it is an action, rather than a noun, which would suggest it is merely a thing.  So, as an action, the person is required to actually "do" something in order to achieve the desired outcome. 
When I hear this word, the first thought that comes to my mind is that of a song I learned long ago, entitled " I Surrender All".  Here are some of the lyrics to that song:

All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live. 

    I surrender all,
      I surrender all.
    All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
        I surrender all. 

All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me. 

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/christianlyrics/alltojesusisurrenderlyrics.html

I can only recall actually singing this song a handful of times especially in recent years, but I know that when I did, I was moved to tears.  Even now, just reading these words invokes an emotion from me that I would not have otherwise allowed myself to openly express.  Just saying the words, or singing them with the tune, it seems as though what you are saying is an easy thing to do.  Maybe for some it is an easy task, but I know for me, surrendering even one thing, a thought or belief, a desire, a sense of control, is actually rather daunting. 
On a plaque which hung next to my mother's bed when I was a child, were these words, which she still says to me often:

"Let go, and let God"

They are simple words, like surrender, yet oh so hard to do.  When soldiers fighting a war are overpowered by their enemies, they fight until the bitter end sacrificing countless lives, until they are eventually forced to surrender.  When they do, it is not with heads held high, rather they are down, with their weapons no longer at their side that they give in to their captives.  We too fight to hold onto things we think are helping us or giving us strength, when actually they may be doing the exact opposite!
When I allow myself to surrender all, my pain, my worries, my fear, my depression & anxiety, to the one who can actually handle it, which for me is Jesus, I find that I can once again lift up my head, and hold it high with a sense of courage and pride.  I feel that I am "free", even if just for a while, and that I can just "be" without the need to make what I desire to have happen actually happen.  Unlike soldiers yielding to an enemy, I can give up what I am holding onto, safe in the knowledge that when I do, I will no longer be "imprisoned", rather I will be "set free".  In replacement of what I needed to let go of, there is a sense of power and of love.  
When power and love replace fear and doubt, anger and resentment, hopelessness and discouragement, we can find the strength to take another breath, move forward in our lives, and not only receive goodness, but also give it away.  When we stay trapped in these or other strongholds, we remain powerless victims unable to do any of what we are called to do.
My hope today, which is actually my 46th birthday, is that I, and you, will be able to SURRENDER whatever it is that is holding us captive and keeping us weighed down, that we may truly be free, empowered to move forward with courage and strength, fully alive in the knowledge that we are blessed, in order to go forth and bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment